Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The other cabin

My husband comes from a family of 8. He has 3 brothers and 4 sisters. My husband is the baby of the family and there is 20 years difference between him and the eldest. They grew up having a summer cabin in the beautiful village that their parents were from and only a 45 minutes drive from home. The cabin is right along the side of the river. A totally different lifestyle than the 1st cabin I talked about but still a very nice getaway.

With the years their father did not keep up on repairs and kind of let it go. The floor was crooked, the ceiling leaked a little, the bathroom was...well yucky! All of this discouraged my husband so much that he just did not want to go there anymore.

My father-in-law passed away in October 2007 and left the cabin to the his 8 children.....oof! So after a couple of months of figuring out whether or not to sell it or fix it up and keep it and a many more months of fixing it up...it is as good as new!

Leveling the floors with cement blocks underneath, redoing the floor and painting it and repainting the walls, changing a window, taking out cabinets to give it a less crowded look, changing the shower and toilet and sink and cabinets....wow!!

Today, June 24, it quebec's birthday and his family was having a party(they use to have a lot of them there but this was the first one since their fathers death). I wanted to go and so did the kids but the husband did not want to go but decided to come.

All 4 of his sisters and 1 of his brothers were there. We were 23 of us all together. We all brought food to stick on the BBQ. The kids went hunting for various little creatures salamenders and other stuff. I loved seeing and talking with my sister-in-laws while helping out in the kitchen washing all the dishes and putting them away.

They are a great family and I love being a part of it!!
The best part: My husband giving me a kiss and saying I'm happy we came! Thank you honey!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that what life is about? Moments like that. Family. Food. Happy husband. You can't put a price on that.

    ReplyDelete